martes, febrero 20, 2007

"I don’t want to be smart in poems"

"I don’t want to be smart in poems"

Can I kiss you?
Can I kiss the you that or who hasn’t been kissed?
Can I kiss the heat beneath you?
Can I kiss the buzzard of your faults?
Can I kiss the lyrics the singer forgot? I will kiss
Ella and Mack the Knife. Ella calls out her name.
I am making a wreck out of not being small, not a child
suctioned cupped to pity. I am kissing. Cheryl is making bluebirds
tell the truth or tip a bad waiter and dance and dance and dance.
The arms detached. I love that part. The blue basket out of blue.
I will kiss Lou Rawls instead.

1 comentario:

  1. Did you know that you have the same name as the person who used to do my taxes? Your poetry and your translations are much better than hers, though.

    I had never heard of Tedi López Mills. Thank you for the translation. Me cuesta mucho trabajo leer en espanol.


    Years and years ago, in high school, I tried to translate Neruda's Poema 20. Failing miserably, I tackled Lorca's Romance Sonambulo. It tackled right back.

    ResponderBorrar