lunes, octubre 11, 2004

Guerrero Viejo

After finishing an amazing book of oral history and photographs called Guerrero Viejo, I was drawn to write a poem in Spanish. I rarely write original work in Spanish, nor work that sounds so formal, but this is what erupted. Let me finish by saying that this book Guerrero Viejo by Elena Poniatowski (author), and Richard Payne (photographer) poignantly illustrates how the citizens of this town were uprooted when the Mexican and U.S. government constructed the Falcon Dam on the Rio Grande. The town, once under water, is now completely dry. A few people refuse to leave. ( I need to figure out how to create accents within this blogbox. Advice for mac?)


A Dona Julia de Guerrero Viejo

Amor,
no te espero sino estoy en vigila
con mis veinte chivos y un becerro.
Y en la noche no te espero
con una veladora para mis santitos
y otra luz encendida de una bateria de carro.
No necesito un carro,
sino una luz. Nunca voy a salir.

A la mala gente, no tengo miedo
de tirarla en las patas
si se trata de robar La Virgen
en mi iglesia sin muros completos.
Nunca sera vacia.

Amor,
en la casa del doctor del Flores
crecio un arbol inmenso. Se parece
que el hogar ofrecio su techo alto.

Amor, soy la unica que guardo todo.
Y cuando me muera, no se le olvide
que quiera una cruz negra
por todo lo que he sufrido.

2 comentarios:

  1. Anónimo1:40 p.m.

    My name is Cipriana Gonzalez Wells I am Julia Zamora granddaughter I have been reading the report you all have done in Guerrero Viejo and on my grand mother (Julia Zamora) there are many people that went to Guerrero Viejo and have meet my grandmother and really are friends of hers I don't know if you all were one but there is a lot of people who are. I have been trying to informing all of the people who went by and toke the time to visit with her "that at this time she is very ill and in a death bed DR 's told us that there is nothing to do know but just wait for the day". Due to her Diabetes and staying in Guerrero Viejo you know how those old people are don't believe in DR's and don't want to get out of the Ranch and know she is very ill. The Dr told us also the she is very tired and want to go, but she will always remember her home because that was here home(Guerrero Viejo).If you have any questions please feel free to call me or write me back.956-424-2257 that's my cell number.

    thank you and have a great day.
    Cipriana Wells

    ResponderBorrar
  2. I never realized that I received this message until now, June 2007. So sorry I didn't respond earlier. Thank you for this message. I was very moved by reading her story. What is your email?

    ResponderBorrar