lunes, agosto 30, 2004

Back from NYC Protest

I just returned from the Anti-RNC protests in NYC. I went to the Books not Bombs Youth Convergence on Saturday, and the United for Peace and Justice March on Sunday. Organizers of the march estimated 500,000 people in the streets. I have no idea how to estimate such a crowd. As a speck in the crowd, marchers and signs were the only things I could see. And all I heard was chanting and chanting like "The people united will never be defeated." "El pueblo unido jamas sera vencido," "Bye, bye, Bush goodbye," "Money for jobs and education, not war and occupation," "Show me what democracy looks like. This is what democracy looks like, " and many more chants that kept the pace for the 5 hours we walked. It was so hot. The signs, puppets, and costumes were amazing, although I did get tired of the "Bad bush, good bush"-type messages after so many similar ones. I may laugh at the mockery, at the mask of Bush on wheels dragged by the man wearing boxing gloves and red, white, and blue shorts who punches him out, but I don't think mockery is very effective. I don't want to punch Bush out even if he is standing in front of me (although I doubt that will ever happen.) But, I want to defend myself against his actions that serve the interests of the most wealthy. I do not want them to consume our spirit for justice and peace. It feels exhilirating to take over the street in protest, and demonstrate that I will not be complicit to the agenda of our government and its effects on the people on earth. It was important to me to march, and send a message internationally. I don't want to fall for anything....

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario